Maui Home Buyers - Congratulations on finding a home that fits your needs and budget. but please don't wait until the last week of your transaction to start shopping for your homeowner's insurance. Start shopping as soon as you open escrow.
If you're getting a mortgage, the lender will require that you have adequate coverage. Here in the islands, it can sometimes be challenging to find homeowner's insurance. Some things that insurance companies might have issues with:
- Is it an older home, with single wall construction?
- Is the home off the grid?
- If it's your second home, do you have a burglar alarm system?
- Was the house built with adequate hurricane clips?
- How far is the home from the nearest fire station?
Don't let lack of preparedness create a snag in your deal. Be pro-active and have a smooth transaction so you can close on time.
The State of Hawaii offers help by way of the Insurance Commissioner...see what he has to say.
Do you need the names of some insurers here on Maui? Just give me a call or email and I can help. If you like the look of this little hut - there's a parcel of vacant land for sale next door, where you can build your own home.... still waiting for the right buyer to make an offer.